Once we finished loading the berries and Race's toys we were good to go. I didn't let in to the fact that I was worried about the condition of the pass from the front of our property to the rear. As you may recall we have a wet weather spring and it just so happens to run across this pass.
Once we arrived at the land it was quickly apparent it was no longer just a stream but a full on marsh. I was not about to give in and park in the front of our property and have to carry everything to the back half of our five acres. I switched on the four wheel drive, my wife hid her eyes with her hands and away we went. With just a little slipping and sliding we made it across the marsh.
I had already prepared the rows for the blueberries by tilling so it was a simple matter of making the mounds and mixing in the peat. It took awhile but we got all the plants in the ground and watered.
We decided on the location for the raspberry patch. We are using a no till method which involves spraying the intended row with roundup. The plants can be planted the day after spraying but it will be a few days until we make it back out there. We are starting off with two forty foot rows of raspberry plants which should be a pretty good start. I managed to burn off two brush piles and mowed the back part of the property so we had a fairly productive day.
|Jenn preparing the hole|
|Race inspecting the results|