Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Big Hunt

My two girls aged 13 and 9 have been expressing an interest in hunting for some time now.
I have no idea where it came from as I haven't seriously hunted since I was a kid and never since having them. 

I started by purchasing a 22 rifle for my oldest on her birthday this past summer.  We then joined a local gun club with a shooting range.  I can't say enough to express my gratitude to the range master.  He went over gun safety and allowed her to shoot several of his guns including a pistol.
For Christmas they each received a shotgun. I picked up a couple of 20 gauges at a gun show. One is a single shot, the other a pump. We decided to go out to the land to rabbit hunt. We had began the hunt by reviewing our safety rules. The day was cold with a brisk wind. Unfortunately we had no snow. We walked the brushy area at the edge of the woods. It wasn't long before we had spooked up a rabbit. I was the only one to have a shot and despite taking two shots the rabbit managed to escape unharmed. We kicked up several more rabbits over the next hour or so. It was cold and getting late. We made a small campfire and made some s'more's.

Despite not bagging any rabbits it was a good time spent with my girls. I think with some more practice their shots and confidence will improve and one day we may actually bag some rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment